Walt Disney World based at Orlando, Florida, is one of the largest recreational resorts in the world. It is owned by the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts segment of the Walt Disney Company. The resort has 4 theme parks: the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Other than the 4 theme parks, it also features 2 water parks and 23 themed hotels among the various other recreation venues spread over an area of 30,500 acres. With so many things to do out there, it’s important that you plan your trip accordingly.
General Disney World Vacation Tips
- Disney World has so much to offer that most of the people end up getting confused about what to do and what not to do. Quite often people try to fit in too many things on their to-do list, only to end up missing out on the important ones eventually. With such a wide range of attractions out there, it’s nearly impossible to cover it in a day. So either plan a long vacation, or make a wish list wherein you list out all the rides you want to enjoy.
- Make sure that you reach the parks around 30 to 45 minutes prior to the said opening time and, more importantly, be ready at the entrance of the theme park wherein you plan to spend that particular day. The best way to avoid the long lines is to go for the most popular rides as soon as the park opens, during the afternoon parade, or in the evening.
- Wear comfortable clothes and good shoes, as you may have to do a lot of walking or spend a good amount of time standing in the waiting lines. It is wise to carry an extra pair of clothes and socks. And don’t forget to carry your child’s swimsuits, if you plan to visit the fun fountains at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
- Though it may appear to be fun, touring the parks is one of the most exhausting things you will do at the Disney World Resort. To avoid this exhaustion, make sure that you take breaks from rides in between and simply enjoy the essence of the resort. You can also opt to spend time in the indoors, watching the afternoon shows, away from the heat of the sun.
- One of the easiest ways to avoid standing in the long waiting lines is by acquiring a Walt Disney World FASTPASS, which allows you to book your ride well in advance. This comes handy when you opt to go for a popular ride or when you time your vacation at the peak time of the year. More importantly, it doesn’t cost you anything extra.
Must-Experience Disney World Rides
Walt Disney World Resort has 4 amusement parks, each dedicated to a particular theme. Each of these parks are spread over a vast area and have some of the best rides to their credit. Here is a list of some of the must-experience rides of the Disney World, along with some popular attractions with reference to these theme parks.
One of the best rides of the Magic Kingdom is the Pirates of Caribbean, which gives you a firsthand experience of the world of pirates. This ride is bound to fascinate you irrespective of your age. Another must-see attraction at the Magic Kingdom is the Haunted Mansion. Eerie wolf howls, snorting horses, and all kinds of scary creatures suddenly popping out from nowhere would surely scare even the bravest of individuals. Another popular ride here is the Space Mountain, full of sudden jerks and jolts. This ride is not suitable for small children; instead, they can enjoy the Peter Pan ride.
The Epcot is dedicated to international culture and technological innovations. The best ride at this theme park is the Mission: SPACE, which is one of the most technologically advanced rides in the world, giving you the feel of taking off into the space. Another ride you cannot afford to miss is the Spaceship Earth. Similarly, Norway Pavilion is an interesting attraction, wherein you can experience the informative, yet entertaining Maelstrom Adventure Cruise mythology.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
This theme park is inspired by some of the classic Hollywood flicks. One of the must-experience rides in the Hollywood studios is The Great Movie Ride, which takes you on a journey across classics, such as The Wizard of Oz, as well as some popular culture movies, such as the Alien. Another ride, inspired by the Star Wars trilogy, takes you on a galactic journey wherein you experience the excitement of Star Wars. The Tower of Terror, a free fall ride in the Hollywood Studios, is also quite popular. You shouldn’t miss the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, a live performance of Hollywood flick Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
The Animal Kingdom, spread over an area of 500 acres, is the largest theme park in the Walt Disney World. The best ride in the Animal Kingdom is the Kilimanjaro Safari, wherein you see real animals roaming freely in a wildlife reserve. Kali River Rapids is another must-experience ride, which gives you the feel of a whitewater rapids, forest fires, and real bats.
Some Tips to Save Money
When planning a Disney vacation, one thing on everybody’s mind is to avail inexpensive Disney vacation packages―only a few end up being so lucky though. You don’t necessarily have to be disheartened if you don’t manage to get these packages, as there exist a few ways you can have a financially sound vacation. Here are some money-saving tips, which will lessen the burden on your wallet.
- When your schedule to visit the Disney World has been finalized, you can purchase some Disney Gift Cards from the Disney Stores in your city and use them on your trip.
- When making a call to any restaurant from the Disney Resort, just dial ‘0’ and ask the operator to connect you to that particular restaurant, instead of dialing the number to make a local call.
- As far as transport is concerned, if you are staying at the Disney World Resort, the transport there is free. If not, occasional use of a taxi is much more viable than renting a car, which can be a bit expensive.
Free Things to do at Walt Disney World
Lastly, there are certain things that you can do at the Walt Disney Resort which won’t cost you anything. These include …
- A visit to the Downtown Disney, wherein you can either watch the marvelous magic shows performed by Magic Masters, see the Lego sculptures, or just sit back and enjoy the ambiance of the place, while your children play in the fountains.
- A visit to one of the fabulous resorts in the Water Kingdom and see the electric water pageant. You can also feast your eyes on the marvelous fireworks at the Magic Kingdom from the Grand Floridan or Polynesian beach.
- The free Wilderness Lodge tour or go for a nature walk at the Fort Wilderness. Attractions at the Fort Wilderness include the petting farm, Wilderness campfire, etc.
- Going on the hidden monkey hunt at the Animal Kingdom. If you manage to find all the hidden monkeys at the Animal Kingdom, you win a free trading card.
These tips, along with some simple planning on your part, will make your Disney World vacation the most memorable vacation of your life. With so many fabulous attractions and mind-boggling rides to experience, you don’t have to think twice before going to the Disney World.