Traveling abroad can be for various reasons like leisure, business conference, wedding or any other personal cause. Out of the above occasions, it is only for a vacation that you have plenty of packing time since you plan it well in advance. Other occasions, generally, come as a surprise. Though these occasions are sudden, you should not skip the factor of safety in your trip. For a vacation, you can think what stuff to carry and what should be left at home. But, have you ever thought what should you do to make your travel trip safe as well as fun. If you stay calm and think wisely while planning for a trip abroad, you can be assured of a safe and enjoyable international trip.
What to Do Before Leaving?
Safety begins at the time of packing for your trip. You should be very careful while selecting your stuff otherwise you might end up facing unwanted situations. Here are a few suggestions as to what and how much to carry, what to wear, etc., when you are on your foreign trip.
- Never carry more cash than required. Try to make maximum use of your credit and debit cards.
- Men should keep cash as well as cards in their front pockets whereas women can use a hand bag tucked under the arm so that no one can reach it without their notice. Use different places to keep the cards to avoid credit card problems such as losing them all at once.
- When you reach the hotel put your credit/ debit cards in the main safe of the hotel or in your personal locker in the room.
- Do not become a target for thieves by wearing attention seeking jewelry. Keep all gold and other precious jewelry at home and wear something light and artificial.
- If you have to carry expensive jewelry as you will be attending a wedding, keep it in hidden corners of your travel bags.
- You might wonder, how can dressing up help you stay safe while traveling. But trust me, it makes a lot of difference.
- If your plane is hi-jacked, you should go unnoticed among all people and this can happen only when you are dressed in casual wear and dull colors. Slacks and T-shirts will help you move easily in an emergency.
Prescriptions and Documents
- If you are on medication while traveling abroad, carry all prescriptions and doctor’s letter with you.
- Ask your doctor to mention the names of drugs (if any) and their need in your treatment, so there won’t be any issue with the flight attendant.
- Share your itinerary with your family members and friends i.e., keep photocopies of your passport, visa and other important documents with your relatives or close friends. They should have all information in case of an emergency.
- Keep in touch with them regularly through phone, messages or e-mail, if you are traveling alone.
Know the Local Laws and Customs
- You should have sufficient information about the place you are planning to visit, like its laws and customs. If you are not fully aware of these things you might unnecessarily get into trouble.
- To avoid unwanted attention, dress like a local. Tourists always stand out from the local populace and thieves take advantage of this.
Tips to Follow When You Reach the Destination
- When you are in your hotel room, investigate it for anything unusual. If you locate any such thing, bring it to the notice of the management.
- Plan your schedule and when you have decided the places of your visit, seek help from the hotel staff in finding the exact address of the place to reach there without any difficulty and complications.
- Let your hotel management arrange for your transport to the desired place because if you plan to go by a taxi or any other local transport and if it is not licensed, you might face problems.
- You should know where you are going. Take a look at the local map before leaving the hotel so you can reach your destination safely and in time.
These are the safe travel tips for you. Whenever you are planning an international trip make sure you take into consideration all the above suggested guidelines and have a safe traveling experience.