How to Get Married in Sweden as a Foreigner

One requirement in order to apply for a marriage license in Sweden is to prove that you are single and therefore free to get married. The way you do this is with a Certificate of No Impediment (Sometimes called a Record of No Record or Single Status Affidavit).

This is going to be the biggest pain to get. However, if you are from the USA, you can get it at your local courthouse although it can still be tricky. This is the stressful – two days worth of – events that happened when I tried to get mine.

In my case, I thought it was better to call around. The first place I called was my local Probate Court and asked if they have a Certificate of No Impediment. They shrugged me off saying no document like this exists.

I called other local and state government offices trying to figure it out. No one knew what I was talking about. Finally, I called the Ohio Secretary of States office. They pointed me to a page on their website that states that I can get this document from my local probate court.

The following day I strolled into the court office and asked for the Certificate of No Impediment. The receptionist stopped typing. She stopped typing; her eyes raised slowly until she was looking at me from above her glasses, her shoulders fell in frustration as she said: “you’re the one who called yesterday?”

I nodded enthusiastically, thinking she might have already realized her error.

“Sir, this document you want doesn’t exist, how would this court ever know if you’ve been married.”

“I thought you might say that,” I rebutted pulling out my phone and bringing up the Ohio Secretary of States Website. Pointing to the paragraph that said I could get the certificate of no impediment at this office, I said. “The Ohio Secretary of State office told me to come down here and show you that in fact, I CAN get this paper here.”

After reading my phone, she gave me a look that said she was less than impressed with my determination to get this paper. “The judge is currently in court. Come back in a few hours.”

Upon my return, she said. They do have the form. And that no one has asked for it in around six years. It seems that not too many people from my small town in Ohio get married in Sweden.

They gave me the Certificate of No Impediment. Which took like 5 minutes to fill out. I paid $25, and the judge signed it (make the paper is signed by the judge), and it was done.

The point of this story is that this is going to be the most stressful form to get when applying to get married in Sweden. Mainly because these forms aren’t common in the USA. However, it can still be done within a couple of days.

In Ohio, you get this form in a Probate Court. But this could vary state to state. Check your state’s Sectary of States Website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *